Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Shiratama Dango (Japanese Rice Dumpling)

In my previous post about Rice Dumplings with Adzuki Beans & Brown Syrup, it is actually Shiratama Dango wannabe. Because I didn't go and hunt for Mochiko. But this time is the real Shiratama Dango that I'm making. I found Mochiko & Kinako in Meidi-Ya Liang Court! Mad happy!

I love Japanese food. But I have reserve when it comes to their desserts. And I must confess that I don’t like those traditional Japanese sweets that are based on sweetened beans. For the most part they are way too sweet for me, and I always imagine that if I were to make them for myself I will definitely adjust the sweetness level.
Diabetes leh! Hahahas...

I had been reading about Shiratama Dango recently. This is the 1st time I make Japanese dessert, and I somehow I find myself courageous. Hahas. Okays, before I start writing, allow me to give a simple explanation about this Japanese dessert :-

Dango is literally a Japanese dumpling made from Mochiko (Rice Flour), related to Mochi.

Shiratama-ko (白玉粉)is sweet or glutinous rice flour, or mochiko, mixed with a little corn starch or potato starch.

Kinako is a soy bean flour that is commonly used in Japanese cuisine as it is a healthy topping that contains Vit B and protein. Kinako is produced by finely grinding roasted soybeans into powder.

This is easy to make. Trust me. If you know how to make Tang-Yuan (汤圆), you can make this. And once you know how to make this, you will not want to pay S$5 - S$7 for a miserable portion of this dessert at Japanese Restaurants.




Ingredient 1 (Shiramata Dango)
  • 4 tablespoons of glutinous rice flour
  • 2 tablespoons of Mochiko
  • about 8 tablespoons of water
  • pink & green coloring
  • some Kinako - for finishing
Ingredient Source...

  • Glutinous Rice Flour - Any convenient store. NTUC / Cold Storage & etc.
  • Mochiko - So far I only saw it at Meidi-Ya Liang Court. It cost S$6.90/pack.
  • Kinako - Daiso sell S$2.00/200g pack. Meidi-Ya sell S$3.00/300g pack.
  • Pink / Green Coloring - Genera convenient stores that carry basic bakery stuffs should have. NTUC / Cold Storage / Sheng Siong / Phoon Huat & etc.


Method

1. Combine two flours in a bowl. Drizzle in half of the water and use fingers to stir and moisten the ingredients. U can use spoon instead. No issue here. Then, gradually work in the remaining liquid, kneading the dough into a PlayDoh type of consistency, that is firm yet soft and smooth.

2. Divide dough into two, use a toothpick to dap a few drops of coloring, and continue to knead till the color turned evenly on the dough. Just like this...


3. Oh yea.. this is my favorite part here. It's PlayDoh Time! Divide them into small little cute balls. About 5 grams each. Just estimate will do. You should be getting about 16 to 17 balls in total.


4. Drop them into the boiling water one by one. Give it a gentle stir to avoid the balls sticking to each other.


5. Until the balls float on top, it means they are cooked. Let it simmer for another minute. At this point of time, you can prepare a bowl of ice cube water.


6. Dish up the balls, and drop them into the ice cube water and let it cool down completely.


7. Once it has cooled down, scoop it up, and it's ready.


Lovely color! I should have make some white balls instead. I'm so engrossed with the color dough until I forgotten to keep some dough for white leh! Sigh!


Nice?


Topped with some Kinako...


Love!!! <3


I really love the taste of the Kinako. It has a taste that is very much similar to the peanut butter that is indescribably good.


You know what I did? I actually scoop a spoon of Kinako straight my mouth. Eating plain Kinako just like that. It taste soooooo good!!! :D
Okay.. I'm crazy.


Oh Yea... You will have to eat this cute little balls with something really sweet. Because this Shiratama Dango itself is basically tasteless. It's normally eaten together with Sweet Adzuki Beans. Or alternatively, you can eat with Brown Sugar Syrup or something else sweet. It's up to you. So, here's the basic sweet adzuki bean method.

Ingredient 2 (Sweet Adzuki Beans)
  • half cups of adzuki beans
  • 50 grams of brown sugar. This is sweet enough for me.
  • water
Method (Sweet Adzuki Beans)

1. Pre-soak adzuki beans for 5 hours. This is to shorten the cooking time.

2. Cook adzuki beans with water till soft.

3. Add in sugar. Stir till sugar is completely melted. Remember to adjust your own sugar level to your preferred sweetness. Heat off. Serve.

I like it when my sweet adzuki beans is more watery. And I mess it up like this!


This is the way! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment